Thursday, December 17, 2009

Day 350



The winter is really here! It is so unusual for December, but we are hoping for a white Christmas. :)

Girlie asked about yesterdays picture, so I thought I'd explain a little about how I made it look like that. The orchid grew a little strange, so I had to take the photo from beneath, hence the background is the ceiling.

Then I played with some of Pioneer Woman's actions. Her PW's B&W, a little Boost and also the Quick Edge Burn. I used the layer mask on the B&W layer to "paint" back the color to just the flower. Easy-peasy, create a layer mask, paint on the mask with black to erase that layer, paint with white to bring it back. You could also simply erase the B&W layer for the colored flower to be seen, but layer masks are easier to adjust if you want to change the colored area.

5 comments:

  1. wow!! thank you for telling me the 'secret'! i will try that sometime. this is another beautiful photo! love the lighting and the drama!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful winter landscape! For us, it has also snowed last night, but only very little!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, that's great!! Very beautiful snow landscape!! It startet to snow this morning too and we also hope for white Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We hope, too - but warm weather is announced!

    We have a snow too, only a little bit, but it is very very cold - we had 14 degrees below zero in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, such a winter wonderland there!

    I love layer masks, very versatile.

    ReplyDelete