Saturday, June 20, 2009

Day 170



Today is midsummer eve, and we will celebrate as usual at the country cottage. After preparing some last things at home we went there just in time to raise the tent on the patio before lunch.



As I told the other day, lunch on midsummer eve is pickled herring. Here with new potatoes, egg, cheese sandwich, sour cream and chives. I prefer the herring in sauce, and my plate here has two kinds; one with mustard sauce and one with shellfish and caviar. To drink is beer and snaps; a herb seasoned aquavit. This is really summer to me! =)



Here we are at the lunch table. Notice the sunny weather at this point.



The strawberry cake I talked about. Yum! We are eating it inside, as the rain is pouring down now.



And then we got sun shine again. Here is the Swedish flag on the cottage. Midsummer eve is a lot more like the national day to Swedes, than 6th of June.




As the sauna was finished a couple of weeks ago, it had to be used today too. And afterward the only way to cool down and get clean is to take a bath in the lake. It wasn't warm at all, but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.



Later on we had a barbecue for dinner, with pork, new potato salad, corn, salad and salsa. It was delicious.



A couple of hundred yards behind the cottage, along the lake, is a fire place. It is very relaxing to light a fire there, and sit together looking out over the lake and enjoy the light evening and night. Fortunately the rain was long gone by now, and even if it was a little cold, we all had a great time.

This is our way of celebrating Midsummer eve! =)

4 comments:

  1. I think that was a very nice day! And when I look at your pictures, I will be very nostalgic and think of nice days back!
    Enjoy the wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photos of midsummer!! They are great and I wish I could celebrate it some day like you do!
    Thank you for sharing this moments!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved learning about your midsummer's eve! What a great feast and great fun at the lake. I totally get the sauna, then run and jump in the lake. The food looked delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow everything looks so good. Looks like a day that I need to have very soon ;-) TFS

    ReplyDelete